Sunday, August 26, 2007

Ancient whiskey

As we’re cleaning out Mom and Dad’s apartment, it’s not only Mom’s stuff that must be sorted and disposed of one way or another. There’s also Dad’s stuff that he can’t – or shouldn’t – have in his new memory care quarters.

Among our finds were two bottles of whiskey that Dad had collected and saved for who knows how long. One is Sam Thompson Old Monongahela Pure Rye Whiskey, circa 1917, in a pint bottle labeled “for medicinal purposes only.” I’ve been told that 100 proof rye whiskey of that era caused hallucinations. I wonder what it was supposed to cure.

The second bottle is Old Crow Whiskey, made in 1908 and bottled in 1925. Both bottles have been opened, who knows when or for what special occasion. But I can imagine my father in his younger days taking great pleasure in pulling out these collectables and offering a sip to a special guest.

Back then, Dad usually had a bottle of moonshine, too; corn liquor so potent that it would make your head smoke. I can remember when my husband was courting me we’d spend an occasional evening playing poker with Mom and Dad. After many rounds of poker and many drinks (but who’s counting?), Dad would pull out the moonshine. My boyfriend/husband-to-be was impressed and still loves to tell our friends about his father-in-law’s stash of ‘shine.

I’m not sure I want to know how much that influenced his decision to marry me!

Sue

1 comment:

Kathy NC said...

My name is Kathy, and I am the primary caregiver for my 79 year old Dad who has Alzheimer's disease and lives with me in North Carolina.

I am writing a daily blog that shows the lighter side of caring for someone with dementia.

Please pass this link along to anyone you feel would enjoy it.

www.KnowItAlz.com

Thanks,

Kathy