Friday, August 31, 2007

The road home

I’m headed home again, this time with the finality of driving my car and all my belongings back across the 2000 miles I first traveled in early March. This signifies that my own home will once again be my home base and that trips to see Dad will be of the shorter variety via airplane and rental car. I’m finally over my tears and I’m enjoying the drive and audio book.

Yesterday, I made the short trip from Atlanta to Birmingham to visit a cousin I hadn’t seen for nearly 20 years. We had much to catch up on, but we felt the comfortable familiarity of those who had seen each other only yesterday. I left vowing to stay in touch.

With a bountiful sack of lunch, I left her house around 8:30 and today made it through the rest of Alabama, a corner of Mississippi and Tennessee, and all the way across Arkansas and into Oklahoma – more than 500 miles. I was so tired when I finally stopped that I took the first promising hotel without thoroughly searching its features for “free wireless internet.” Therefore, when you read this, it will be at least a day later.

I walked to the nearest restaurant – a Chinese buffet – again too tired to be picky about what they had (or didn’t have) to offer. It was unremarkable. Tomorrow, with renewed energy, I will search out more interesting road food options.

Although comfortably full from too much lunch and enough dinner, I’m now tempted to visit the ice cream store across the street. Then, I’ll retire early to get an early start tomorrow.

Sue

No comments: